Index Of Cremations (From 1959 - 2005)
Background And Notes
The Crematorium at Cambridge in East London was put into use in September 1959.
In those early years it served not only the people of East London but also
people from the surrounding districts such as Butterworth, Umtata,
Dordrecht, Aliwal North, Queenstown, Cathcart, Stutterheim, Peddie,
King William's Town, Alice, Adelaide, Fort Beaufort,Cradock, Grahamstown
Port Alfred and many of the other smaller towns in areas where decendents
of the early Slettlers had lived and worked. In those days many of these
people came to the Frere hospital in East London to seek expert medical
attention when the need arose, the bodies of those who did not recover from
their sickness were very often cremated at the crematoriun because of the
cost and logistics of transporting bodies, their remains (ashes) were then
taken back home for burial by the next of kin.
Click here to view all the items in the Cambridge Crematorium East London 1959 - 2005 Index (20218 records)